Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936)

Get access

Ṭabarīya
(1,895 words)

, Tiberias, a town on the western side of the lake of Tiberias (sea of Galilee) (Buḥairat Ṭabarīya) through which the Jordan flows to the south; the lake is rich in fishes, is 13 miles long, 6 broad and lies 700 feet below the level of the Mediterranean; the town is long and narrow as it is shut in by the steep hills on the west which come right down to the water, north and south of the town. S.S.W. of the town is the Mount of Herod. Ṭabarīya had probably a predecessor in a little town in this region mentioned in the Old Testament (on account of the hot springs some identify it with Hammat,…

Cite this page
Buhl, Fr., “Ṭabarīya”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, First Edition (1913-1936), Edited by M. Th. Houtsma, T.W. Arnold, R. Basset, R. Hartmann. Consulted online on 17 July 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2214-871X_ei1_SIM_5584>
First published online: 2012
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004082656, 1913-1936



▲   Back to top   ▲