Settlement in Samnium (cf. Rufrani vicani, ILS 80; 5759), conquered by the Romans early in the 2nd Samnite War in 326 BC (Liv. 8,25,4: Rufrium; Sil. Pun. 8,568), subsequently named castellum Campaniae (Serv. Aen. 7,739) and tribus Teretina (CIL X 4836), on the Via Latina. R. is situated on the middle reaches of the Volturnus in the region of San Felice a Ruvo, west of Presenzano (province of Caserta); remains of a small Roman theatre and statues of Augustus and Agrippa have been found there. Cato praises oil presses from R. (Cato Agr. 22,4; 135,2: ad Rufri Maceriam).
Rufrae, Rufrium(129 words)
Cite this pageUggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Rufrae, Rufrium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1025500>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲