Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 38 of 548 |

Phrixa
(115 words)

[German version]

(Φρίξα/Phríxa). Settlement in western Arcadia or south-eastern Elis or Triphylia (Xen. Hell. 3,2,30), east of Pisatis on the left bank of the Alpheius [1], where the Leucyanias flows into it from the north (Hdt. 4,148,4: Φρίξαι/Phríxai; Paus. 6,21,5f.; Str. 8,3,12; Steph. Byz. s.v. Μάκιστος). It stood on a prominent hill (305 m; modern Paliophanaro) at what today is once more known as Phrixa, 9 km east of Olympia. P. later adopted the name Phaestus, probably also Phaesana (Steph. Byz. s.v. Φαιστός). Even by the time of Pausanias (2nd cent. AD), the site…

Cite this page
Olshausen, Eckart (Stuttgart), “Phrixa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 09 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e924160>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲