Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 76 of 121 |

Mamucium
(101 words)

[German version]

Roman fort near Manchester, on the road from Deva to Eboracum, first occupied in the Flavian period (AD 69-96), probably under Cn. Iulius [II 3] Agricola. Renovated in the early 2nd cent. [1]. An inscription on a Severan building suggests a further extension in the 3rd cent. [2. 581]. In the 4th cent., M. gained considerable strategic importance, before being abandoned after AD 370. A large vicus surrounded the fort.

Bibliography

1 G. D. B. Jones, S. Grealey, Roman Manchester, 1974

2 R. G. Collingwood, R. P. Wight, The Roman Inscriptions of Brita…

Cite this page
Todd, Malcolm (Exeter), “Mamucium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 26 September 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e720070>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲