Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 39 of 548 |

Ietae
(174 words)

[German version]

(Ἰεταί; Ietaí). Sicilian town near San Giuseppe Iato and San Cipirello on Monte Iato (852 m), 30 km south-west of Palermo ( Sicily with map). The site was settled from the 8th cent. BC by the  Elymi or  Sicani; about 550 BC, construction of a temple to Aphrodite which was renovated in the 4th cent., and destroyed in AD 50. In the Hellenistic era, among other things, a theatre, an agora with stoa, bouleuterion, podium temple, and living quarters (mosaics, paintings) were built; only a few remains from the Roman Imp…

Cite this page
Olshausen, Eckart (Stuttgart), “Ietae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 04 April 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12222910>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲