Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 41 of 388 |

Fussala
(92 words)

[German version]

Fort on the border of the region of Hippo Regius. The precise location is unknown. Augustine appointed a bishop in F. who had mastered the Punic language (Aug. Epist. 209,2). F. remained a bishop's see (Not. Episc. Num. 21a). Inscription: AE 1983, 283 no. 980.

Bibliography

AAAlg, sheet 9, no. 59

J. Desanges, S. Lancel, L'apport des nouvelles lettres à la géographie historique de l'Afrique antique et de l'Église d'Afrique, in: C. Lepelley (ed.), Les lettres de saint Augustin découvertes par Johannes Divjak, 1983, 87-98 and 99, here 92-98.

Cite this page
Huß, Werner (Bamberg), “Fussala”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 September 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e417130>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲