Samnite city (tribal nameKupelternum on Oscan coins), civitas foederata after the Second Punic War, and municipium with IIviri after the Social War. In AD 599 elevated to a bishopric. C. is thought to be c. 2 km north of Alvignano near the churches S. Ferdinando or S. Ferrante.
G. Couquer (ed.), Structures agraires en Italie Centroméridionale (Collection de l'École Française de Rome 100), 1987, 149f.
H. Solin, Le iscrizioni antiche di Trebula, Caiatia e C., 1993, 145-173.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Buonocore, Marco (Rome),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 October 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e308240>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510