Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Cilurnum
(117 words)

[German version]

Roman camp on the western bank of the North Tyne, where Hadrian's wall crosses the river, modern Chesters; built in around AD 125 as a replacement for tower 27a [1. 89-91]. Garrison of the ala II Asturum in the 3rd cent. AD (CIL VII 585); prior to that, the camp may have accommodated cavalry (including Sarmatae). The camp gates are extant, as are principia, praetorium, two soldiers' quarters, extra-mural thermae, and the foundations of a bridge. South of the camp was an extended vicus [2].

 Limes

Bibliography

1 D. J. Breeze, The Northern Frontier…

Cite this page
Todd, Malcolm (Exeter), “Cilurnum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e234560>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲