As regio II of the Augustan division of Rome (CIL XV 7190; for the preceding period, see Varro, Ling. lat. 5, 46), C. corresponds largely with the Caelius Mons. Its expansion probably coincided with the slopes of the hill: in the west, it bordered the Palatine, in the east it is questionable whether the Lateran was included. To the south, its approximate boundary is marked by the modern via delle Terme di Caracalla, and to the north, it was succeeded by regio III with the later Colosseum, at about the line of the modern via dei SS. Quattro Coronati.
Cite this pageFörtsch, Reinhard (Cologne), “Caelemontium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 17 July 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e223510>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲