(Καχάλης; Kachálēs). Tributary to the Cephisus river in Phocis, today called Kakorrema, flowing below the mountain fortress of Tithorea. C. was the source of the city's water supply (Paus. 10,32,11). The Greek name C. means ‘impetuous, noisy river’ (cf. καχλάζειν; kachlázein, ‘to make noise, to roar’).
H. v. Geisau, s.v. Kachales, RE 10, 1456
N. D. Papachatzis, Παυσανίου Ελλάδος Περιήγησις 5, 1981, 424 n. 1.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Daverio Rocchi, Giovanna (Milan),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 18 June 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e604940>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510