Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 155 of 388 |

Ausum
(101 words)

[German version]

Castrum of the Numidian  limes , which was 75 km west-south-west of Biskra; probably the place today known as Sadouri. The military camp protected the area south of the Chott el-Hodna. A. was where the road from Lambaesis met the road that led from Auzia via Doucen to Gemellae. Inscription in honour of  Gordianus (AD 247 [1. 31-33]); it is, however, possible that A. was already in existence before this time.

Bibliography

1 J. Carcopino, Le Limes de Numidie et sa garde syrienne, in: Syria 6, 1925

2 AAAlg, folio 48, no. 1

3 J. Baradez, Fossatum Afric…

Cite this page
Huß, Werner (Bamberg), “Ausum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 03 December 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e209920>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲